When shopping for a summer handbag, I try to look for relaxed styles that fit the lighter mood of the season. I find that dark leathers and structured shapes don’t tend to work for S/S because they jar against all the loose and floaty fabrics in my wardrobe. At the moment LFF is loving cross-body and shoulder strap bags; not only are practical for rushing about London on public transport (I like to keep my hands free to hang on for dear life on the tube), they are also a key trend for the season. Another key style for SS13 is the sportswear inspired 'duffel' bag- (numbers 3. and 4.). Formerly reserved for your gym kit, the humble duffel bag has been given an upgrade for the season with soft leathers and minimalist shapes.
Colour-wise, I recommend looking out for leathers in neutural hues of mushroom, cream and taupe that will work with lighter summer fabrics. Reptile-effect leathers and animal prints also feature in my edit because they will add a touch of luxe to just about any look. Subtle hardware details smarten up the look too (see the simple yet stylish gold turnlock on Bobelle's Berkeley, no. 5.) , but I try avoid anything too metal-heavy because this only leads to backache! What style of handbag will you be sporting this in summer?
1. Grosvenor shoulder bag in Marsupial, Radley, £299.
2. Square leather leopard print messenger, Zara £59.99.
3. Buttermere drawstring bag in Cotton, Radley, £189.
4. Mango perforated cross body duffel, ASOS, £34.99.
5. Berkeley bag in Mushroom, Bobelle London, £395.
6. City bag with handles & buckles, Zara, £39.99.
7. Osprey London Maudie croc print satchel, John Lewis, £245.