There's something very chic about wearing a flat shoe for a party. Heels can appear try-hard, whilst flats have an insouciant air of cool. Coupled with the fact sky-scraping stilettos never lend themselves to tearing up the dance floor, comfortable shoes make the altogether better option in my eyes. A few styling pointers: if you are petite, a pointed flats (like the fabulous Fendi pair below - no.6) will elongate the leg. If you are tall (like me) pretty much anything goes - try a brogue with a mini dress for an unexpected twist on festive dressing. Most importantly, look for luxurious details like glitter finishes, embellishments and embroidery to up the ante in your party look. Will you be trying a flat shoe this Christmas?
1. Glitter lace ups, F-Troupe, £65.
2. Cecilia glitter & suede ballet flats, Office, £56.
3. Black jewelled slippers, Next, £35.
4. Shellys lace up glitter flats, ASOS, £60.
5. Dandy palm-detail slippers, Penelope Chilvers, £245.
6. Fendi metallic leather flats, Net-a-porter.com, £560.